Saluki Cares Emergency Fund
The Saluki Cares Emergency Fund was created, in conjunction with the SIU Alumni Association and SIU Foundation, to assist Southern Illinois University Carbondale students with an unforeseen financial emergency or catastrophic event which may prevent them from continuing their education at SIU.
These funds are not intended to be used for routine expenses or as a consistent supplement to a student’s education funding sources. Requests must be urgent in nature. These funds are not meant for financial need, an unforeseeable event or circumstance must be the cause of the loss of funds in order to be eligible for student emergency funds.
Our goal is to help students during a time of need stay in school and make progress towards a degree. Priority will be given to students whose tenure at SIU may be at risk because of unexpected expenses.
This funding is not intended to replace or supplement existing financial aid and does not have to be repaid.
Students may apply for funds only when they have exhausted all other resources.
The number of students who can be served by the Saluki Cares Emergency Fund is subject to the availability of funds. The fund must be sustained by continual contributions from alumni, parents, faculty, students, staff and friends of the University.
Types of expenses generally covered including but not limited to:
- Medications and other costs related to medical care
- Replacement of books and other essential academic expenses
- Safety needs (i.e. changing a lock)
- Assistance with replacement of essential personal belongings due to fire, theft, or natural disaster
- Travel costs related to a death or illness in the immediate family
Expenses NOT covered including, but not limited to:
- Tuition, fees, health insurance, and study abroad costs
- Parking tickets and other fines.
- Costs for entertainment, recreation, non-emergency travel or other non-essential expenses
- Expenses that could be anticipated and other non-emergency related expenses.
- Expenditures resulting from poor financial management.
- Assistance with rent.
- Assistance with utilities and other household expenses
Applicants must be currently enrolled as a full-time student, in good academic standing, and have no current sanctions or ongoing sanctions with Student Rights and Responsibilities.
Applicants must have a financial hardship resulting from an emergency, accident, or other unplanned event.
All other resources, including Student Financial Aid must have been considered and are insufficient, unavailable, or not available in a timely manner.
Students who are in need of emergency financial assistance must submit an online application and supporting documentation to the Dean of Students Office (applicants will be required to meet with a staff member in the Dean of Students office to discuss their application).
Award amounts will range between $50 to $500 per request. Award requests will not typically exceed $500.
If you are currently receiving financial aid, please be aware that receiving funding from the Saluki Cares Emergency Fund may affect your financial aid packages.
A maximum of two (2) awards will be made to any one student during all combined enrollments at SIU.
Please complete the online application form and submit.