The primary goal of the Student Ombudsman is to provide students confidential consultation in assisting with the possible resolution of University related concerns, grievances and appeals. The Student Ombudsman is a resource for students in navigating the University while seeking resolution to individual student concerns. The Student Ombudsman is an impartial employee who is trained and skilled in interpersonal communication, problem solving, conflict management and dispute resolution.
Housed in Saluki Cares, the Student Ombudsman can:
- Listen to your complaint
- Clarify and explain University policy
- Assist with unresolved problems
- Informally look into your complaint
- Assist with referrals to professionals who can address your concern
- Help define resources and options available to you
- Facilitate conversations
- Offer a SAFE place to discuss your concerns
The Student Ombudsman does not serve as an advocate, but rather advocates for "due process" which can assist you in discovering useful alternative perspectives to a resolution that might have otherwise been missed. The Student Ombudsman strives for impartiality, fairness and objectivity in working with students and the consideration of issues. The Student Ombudsman serves as a listening post for systemic concerns and brings them to the attention of the Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs. As an outreach, educator, the Student Ombudsman may be available to work with the student groups on issues related to conflict, controversy, and communication.
What the Ombudsman does not do:
- Conduct formal investigations
- Give legal advice
- Make or overturn decisions by others
- Establish, change or eliminate policies and procedures
- Offer psychological counseling
- Disclose confidential information, except for an imminent risk of harm to the University Community or as required by laws of Title IX and gender based violence situations.
For more information you can email the Student Ombudsman at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone, 618-453-1492. Please leave a message and you will be contacted as soon as possible.