The primary goal of the Student Ombudsperson is to provide students confidential consultation in assisting with the possible resolution of University related concerns, grievances and appeals. The Student Ombudsperson is a resource for students in navigating the University while seeking resolution to individual student concerns. The Student Ombudsperson is an impartial employee who is trained and skilled in interpersonal communication, problem solving, conflict management and dispute resolution.
The Student Ombudsperson can:
- Listen to your complaint
- Clarify and explain University policy
- Assist with unresolved problems
- Informally look into your complaint
- Assist with referrals to professionals who can address your concern
- Help define resources and options available to you
- Facilitate conversations
- Offer a SAFE place to discuss your concerns
The Student Ombudsperson does not serve as an advocate, but rather advocates for "due process" which can assist you in discovering useful alternative perspectives to a resolution that might have otherwise been missed. The Student Ombudsperson strives for impartiality, fairness and objectivity in working with students and the consideration of issues. The Student Ombudsperson serves as a listening post for systemic concerns and brings them to the attention of the Dean of Students. As an outreach, educator, the Student Ombudsperson may be available to work with the student groups on issues related to conflict, controversy, and communication.
What the Ombudsperson does not do:
- Conduct formal investigations
- Give legal advice
- Make or overturn decisions by others
- Establish, change or eliminate policies and procedures
- Offer psychological counseling
- Disclose confidential information, except for an imminent risk of harm to the University Community or as required by laws of Title IX and gender based violence situations.
For more information you can email Renada Greer, the Student Ombudsperson, at email@example.com or by telephone, 618-453-1492. To schedule a meeting, please complete the intake form.